If you like the translucency and fluidity of watercolor and have always wanted to explore its possibilities for abstraction, then this is the class for you. We will demystify the process of abstraction and try out some of the many ways to get started on your personal journey with it. Abstraction is about staying in the moment with a painting and being flexible about where you planned to go. It’s a very exciting and intuitive way of working, and perhaps even a new way of seeing the world. Combined with the medium of watercolor, it can be a challenging but ultimately satisfying endeavor. There will be exercises is mark making, brushwork and composition. I provide plenty of direction at the beginning of each exploration to help you get started. Come with your spirit of adventure and desire for experimentation! Prerequisite: Introduction to Watercolor or some basic watercolor experience. Our class will be on Zoom, a video chat software that is really easy to use. Just download the app on your device. I will provide you with a link before class time. Click on it when class begins, and you are in! Four 2.5 hour sessions. Maximum of 8 students. (Please sign up no later than noon June 1st to insure time to receive class link)
This class has been filled. If you wish to be put on our waiting list, please contact us at 541-683-2787 (ext 1).
REQUIRED MATERIALS LIST:
• Watercolor Brushes: #4 round, #10 round, and 1” flat brush for washes (or similar), and a rigger brush and
other brushes, if you have them
• One set of watercolors: Daniel Smith, Qor, M. Graham, Yarka, Windsor Newton, or others.
• One palette with large wells for mixing colors
• Some Derwent inktense water-soluble colored pencils (your choice of colors)
• A couple of water soluble crayons (caran d'ache neocolor II) or similar (your choice of colors)
• Watercolor paper: 2 or 3 sheets 22 x 30 Arches 140 lb. cold press or Fabriano Artistico cold press (each cut into 6 pieces, 10” x 11” in size)
• some drawing paper
• graphite sticks, one each (2B and 6B)
• One 16 x 24 Graphix brand Incredible Art Board for mounting paper (cut in half to 12 x 16 size) or a couple of other boards for mounting paper
• masking tape
• Paper towels
*Please consult staff at OAS if substitutions with supplies are necessary
*To reserve your place in any class, payment must be received at the time of registration.
*For a refund on any of our classes, we will need to be notified at least 48 hours in advance of the first class.
***All Students get 20% off purchases made while enrolled in a class***